Thursday, December 16, 2010

Words of Wisdom for Your Simplicity Journey

If you are considering making a lifestyle change toward a more frugal, simple life and you visit blogs like mine for ideas and inspiration, I have an important tip to make that first step MUCH easier:

Ignore other people's opinions.

This is much harder than it sounds. But you'll get the hang of it. When you go against social norms, friends and family often will not hesitate to provide unsolicited opinions about your choices. Chances are your friends and family simply want what they believe to be in your best interest. The trick is not to dismiss an unsolicited opinion, nor should you argue your point. Simply say, "that's a good point," or "I'll have to take that into consideration." Then happily continue your merry little frugal/simple ways.

This post is inspired by my family's continuing puzzlement over why I haven't acquired all the regular status symbols associated with a successful professional in her mid-thirties. I have no upscale car, no large house full of gorgeous furniture, no flat-screen TV, no walk-in closet full of shoes and purses. Rather I have a 1-bedroom condo furnished in Ikea's finest, a ten-year old TV held together by twist ties, only two purses and less than ten pairs of shoes. When my family waxes philosophical over my life, I have perfected the art of smiling, nodding and saying, "perhaps that's something I'll consider in the future..."

No comments: